Monday, September 17, 2012

Reflections of a Semi-Reformed Crazy Fan

We're three weeks into college football season, and I don't know about other places, but here in the South it's serious business. There's nothing quite like college rivalries that turn demure Southern belles, never-miss-a-Sunday church members, and starched businessmen into Mean Girls and schoolyard bullies.

Perhaps social media makes it more visible, but check Facebook or Twiiter on a Saturday in the Fall and you'll see insults flying back and forth between "friends" whose allegiances are to opposing schools. Now, I am not judging anyone more harshly than myself because I was a rabid Mississippi State fan. I am still a loyal fan who loves the Bulldogs, but my vitriol toward other schools has cooled considerably (not that it doesn't surface every now and then).

Seriously, in what other context would this over-the-top fan bickering be socially acceptable? Imagine this post on Facebook: "I hate Presbyterians. They are a bunch of rednecks. Baptists are the best- we have the prettiest girls and best weddings!!" Yeah. But this type of statement is just hunky-dory when applied to colleges and their associated fanbases and students.

Lately I've been struck by how similar many of the taunts and putdowns are to those we don't allow our children to say. Here are a few parallels:

"You're ugly"...."We have the prettiest girls. Their girls are pitiful."

"Nobody wants to come to your party. It's boring." ...."They don't know how to tailgate. We do it BEST!"

"You're a snob."....Fans referred to as "wine & cheese" crowd, etc. (UNC)

"She/he's fake. Nobody's her friend.".... "The whole school is a bunch of posers. They are all a joke."

"You're a redneck/hick."....."They are all a bunch of rednecks."

See what I mean? So many times we cross the line of cheering for and loving our own schools and regress to absolute toddlers and bullies. AND WE THINK IT'S OKAY!

As I said earlier, I was one of the worst fans for years! Just ask anyone who knows me well. Two things changed my perspective (don't worry, I'm not gonna get preachy): my little brother's experience with real and virtual "fans" and the experience with Caroline.

I'll end with an example from a few months ago that really made me step back and look at this issue. One day on Facebook following her school's loss in sports someone I have known for years wrote, "I HATE Mississippi State fans. And Maroon is the ugliest color."
Sadly, she wasn't joking.

Since this post is so long I won't get into the wretched way some ADULT fans treat student-athletes. I'll save that for another post. I'm sure you can't wait . :).

No comments:

Post a Comment